This has to be one of the best old school festival videos ever.
1. It’s Rufus Thomas! This man had such a distinct voice for blues, R&B, soul and endless funk goodies attracting fans both black and white in the good ole 60s and 70s.
2. It’s Wattstax! A huge music festival back in 1972 at the LA Coliseum in Watts. How badass is that for you? I say they bring them goods back.
3. Look at the fan energy, interaction and movement. When do you ever see fans rush a stage area like that and just start boogie-ing down? You don’t see that kind of stuff at Coachella or Bonnaroo, that’s for certain.
4. Check out his getup! Who else can pull off a salmon shorts-suite … with a cape .. and white boots?!
5. It’s all about the locking. Who doesn’t love a good “funky chicken”?
You gotta check out this video of Rufus Thomas at Wattstax performing the “Funky Chicken”.