Brooklyn-based record label, Sacred Bones, are celebrating their 5-year anniversary in Pioneertown (Joshua Tree) this Friday, December 21 at Pappy & Harriet’s. It’s going to be a very special celebration as this day marks the alleged demise of the world according to some interpretations of the Mayan calendar. Sacred Bones is ready to celebrate this day of spiritual awakening with performances by Zola Jesus, Cult of Youth, Var (West Coast debut all the way from Copenhagen), Wymond Miles, Psychic Ills, Pop 1280, Lust for Youth and special guests.
We had a chat with Sacred Bones label-head, Caleb Braaten and Tres Warren of Psychic Ills for a special apocalyptic-themed interview. Check it out below!
INTERVIEW: CALEB BRAATEN
1. Why did you select this particular date and venue for your 5-year?
We wanted to make this special. We could have done it at some venue in Brooklyn. It would have been great. But it wouldn’t have been special. This is a
destination. It’s like your friend who decides to get married in Jamaica, yeah it’s annoying and expensive to get to but you’ll never forget it.
2. There are a bunch of theories and ideas being thrown around, what do you thinks is gonna happen on Dec. 21, 2012 and what does it mean to you?
I’m hoping for an alien awakening.
3. If this WAS the date of the end of the world, what three things would you do before that date?
Well, we only have a few days! I guess put on an insane show in the desert, spend the final moments with some of my closest friends and family. Luckily,
whether or not the world ends we get to do that on Friday.
INTERVIEW: TRES WARREN OF PSYCHIC ILLS
1. What’s your favorite thing about being part of the Sacred Bones family?
I can’t name one thing, but it just feels like you’re in good hands. They care about what they’re doing and what their bands are doing. Mostly, I just like that
Caleb has a picture of Tom Petty on his desk. Taylor wanting to start a weekly steak night also told me I was in the right company.
2. Who are you most looking forward to see perform at the Sacred Bones 5-year anniversary?
I’m looking forward to seeing Caleb drink the bottle of snake wine that I brought back for him from China. I figure he’s gonna do it then since the world will be
ending soon there after. I’m looking forward to seeing all of the bands.
3. There are a bunch of theories and ideas being thrown around, what do you thinks is gonna happen on Dec. 21, 2012 and what does
it mean to you?
Based on some things that I’ve read, there should be an alien arrival around the time that we play that night; I hope everything goes as planned.
4. If this WAS the date of the end of the world, what three things would you do before that date?
I haven’t thought about my end of the world preparations, but I’ve got a few more days to get my affairs in order.
Listen to some of the bands performing in the SoundCloud below. It’s a very dark, goth-y, minimal electro playlist perfect for this special night of awakening.