It’s Valentine’s Day and whether you’re a lover of the commercial holiday set to help boost the economy, or a hater—you can’t deny that a lot of sex will be had tonight. We see Valentine’s Day as another great reason to get laid.
In celebration of this sexy day, we’ve asked some of our favorite Los Angeles musicians a very personal question which many of them were kind enough to open their hearts (and loins) to let us know the soundtrack of their SEX. We asked each musician the following steamy question: what songs do you like to get down to? In other words, what songs do you play for love-making or straight, f*cking?
Check out and listen to these very interesting (and surprising) answers they gave us! What are your favorite love-making songs? Let us know in a comment below!
*click on the links below to listen to their favorite love-making songs.
DAM-FUNK (aka Damon G. Riddick)
- Gladys Knight & The Pips –”You’re Number One (In my Book)”
With stellar production by the great Leon Sylvers III; Gladys commences to bless this beautiful music bed with heartfelt, almost tear jerking lyrics & sincere sentiment of true appreciation for her ‘love’. Almost like a reminder to ‘our loves’.
- Cameo – “For You”
A dedication, (on a Funk slow-jam tip) gesture that ‘exclusiveness’ is still intact. Produced (& played drums on + shared vocals) so well by Larry Blackmon.
Jorma Vik of the Bronx
(Jorma is on tour in Europe, we’ll update this post with his commentary soon, but check out his love faves below)
- The Wailers – “Satisfy My Soul”
The original Wailers, Bunny, Bob, and Pete, the best. Here they kick out some heavy Lee Perry infused sensual good vibes… put it on repeat!
- Any songs by Ali Akbar Khan
Light some incense, put on an Ali Akbar Khan raga and let you and your lover be carried to the days of the decadent kings of ancient India, where the court musicians where waiting to appropriately serenade every kingly activity.
- J Dilla feat. Common & D’Angelo – “So Far To Go”
J Dilla makes sexy music already, but D’Angelos vocals make this track the sexiest piece of music alive. . . and the beat never changes… so… Happy Valentines Day!
Travis Schneider of The Damn Sons
- Lenny Kravitz – “Let Love Rule”
“Let LoveRule” is currently playing in my headphones at this very moment (this was via text yesterday almost 1 a.m.) and it always makes me feel super sexual.
- Queens of the Stone Age – “Make it Wit Chu”
This is also one of the sexiest songs I’ve ever heard. I don’t think I’ve had the pleasure of making love or f*cking to either song yet, but I’m sure they’re always on somewhere in the world.
Paul Gonzalez of Death Hymn Number 9
- Al Green – “Let’s Stay Together”
Siamese twins are still monogamy.
- Its easier with dudes, you don’t have to work as hard by putting something cool on to impress. Anything from D’Angelo to Dark Throne depending on how loud you are gonna be and what you don’t want the neighbors’ kids hearing.
Patrick Tapia of Death Hymn Number 9
- The Cramps – “Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?”
Lady-boys need love too!
- Chris Isaak – “Wicked Game”
J-Date instand deal-sealer.
Adam Arcos of Beach Party
- When ‘making Love’ I like some old soul like my main man Sam Cooke. “Bring it on Home to Me” is a baby making masterpiece! For ‘having sex’, “Just Like Honey” by The Jesus and Mary Chain is a great one. Just a wall of sound and power. For all other sexual activities I would stick with something on the dirty side…Nine Inch Nails “Downward Spiral” album or Buddy Guy’s “Sweet Tea” album.
Aaron Silverstein of Herculion
- Chromatics – “Dust to Dust”
The first ten seconds of the song tell it all. It’s hard to listen to this and not picture yourself as one of the actors in an 80’s tinged love scene set at dusk in a sweaty-ass room with a single fan spinning slowly above. Wait, maybe that’s just me.
- Bjork – “All is Full of Love”
Who doesn’t fantasize about being a sex-bot on a conveyer belt waiting to have its sleek metal shell welded on a new titanium skeleton, only to be packed into a box and shipped to the house of a successful working woman (the CEO of a multimillion dollar marketing agency…played by my girlfriend) who you know is going to work her thang hard…until her next conference call? I certainly don’t.
Chad Carlisle of Rainbow Jackson
- Al Green Song – “I’m A Ram”
Al Green turns any time into sexy time, but “I’m A Ram” drives hard enough to walk the line between making love and getting fucking wild.
Andrew Packer of Gypsyhawk
- Assück – “Social Crucifixion”
You probably need the right partner for this, but blast it loud and have some sensuous sex. The violent energy of the song mixed with your love making is such an intense juxtaposition that both of you will struggle to hold onto your loads, which might make the minute long song length ideal for some of you. I personally like to hold out for the entire duration of side A.