The pressure is often high to go all out on New Year’s Eve but sometimes hitting the over-packed clubs and subsequently long ass restroom lines, only to be confronted by a room full of douche bags trying to get laid is over-rated. Not to mention the alcohol price-gauging that often happens at these supposed hot, nightlife spots can easily break the bank. Do yourself a favor and ring in the New Year with a decently priced, stiff drink, in a welcoming atmosphere, amidst friends that you don’t have to scream across a dance floor of asses just to figure out who’s buying the next round. Forget all that and focus on celebrating the incoming New Year. Peace out 2014, hello 2015!
1. El Chavito – Los Feliz – Nestled on the border of Los Feliz and Silver Lake, El Chavito is a perfect spot to hang at the bar or sip cocktails on the heated patio, currently decked out and glowing with strings of holiday lights. A Mexican beer or three is a must and you can get your grub on right next door at the El Chavo restaurant, or they can deliver your order to you at the bar or patio! Orale!
2. The Virgil – East Hollywood – “Cali Hustle” is back at The Virgil, featuring a night of California soul, samba, reggae, and rock, in an intimate setting, with DJs and Quetzal Guerrero & his band. Time to dance the night away in style! Bonus: Happy hour deals run 7-9pm, tickets are only $15 and with 3 rooms and 2 bars (their cocktails are killer!), The Virgil’s got it all covered. Just remember to put on your dancing shoes!
3. Townehouse – Venice – Attention Westsiders – prepare to rock like it’s 1994 this NYE! Just $20 will get you into this badass ’90s dance party at the Towne House where ’90s attire and dance moves are highly encouraged (yes, you can electric slide, push it or tootsie roll to your heart’s content). DJ Mr. Choc (93.5 KDay, World Famous Beat Junkies) will be manning the decks and the complimentary bubbly at midnight is just begging for you to drink it. What’s not to love?
4. La Cita – Downtown – La Cita boasts a non-pretentious party atmosphere in a bar that feels more like a big house party than a traditional club. The patio gets packed but always offers up a nice respite regardless from the sweaty dance floor inside. This NYE, hip-hop happy hour has $3-4 drink specials from 4-9pm for you early birds, followed by Part-Time Punks with guest DJ Jose Maldonado (Sweet & Tender Hooligans) for all you late night-lovers. Jam out to ’80s punk/post-punk for only $10-15. Screw the hype and have fun!
5. The Wendell – Downtown – The Wendell is the DTLA neighborhood bar where all are welcome to kick back and relax in the chill atmosphere. If there isn’t a local DJ like DJ Ladypills or Soft Touch on the decks spinning soul and funk, there’s sweet jams on the jukebox to rock out to. Beer snobs also have it good here because there are a multitude of craft beers to choose from at any given time. From exclusive Kern River IPA to Modern Times’ Hoppy Tropical Wheat, there is a beer treat for everyone and no one leaves without a beer ‘stache. No Cover + Beer = New Year’s Eve Cheer!
Win a Sub Pop Swag Bag of musical treats!
Win Tickets to Tyler, The Creator’s New Year’s Eve at Club Nokia
Calling All Shoe Addicts! Win a Pair of VANS Custom Shoes!
Attention Music Junkies! Win a Rdio Subscription!
Like Pumped Up Kicks? Win A Pair of SUPRA Shoes!