Coachella may have kicked off the spring/summer festival season, but small live shows are looking good and plenty this season. So many things to do and people to see, yet such little time. These are Grimy’s hot picks for May 2009:
- The Silversun Pickups – April 30 at the Echoplex in LA. Unfortunately, this sold out in less than two hours. It’s a special benefit show for the Pablove Foundation.
- The Black Lips -May 2 at the Glass House in Pomona. Playing with Flowers Forever and The Strange Boys.
- Strung Out – May 2 at the Canyon Club in Agoura Hills. One of my favorite punk bands back in the 90’s!
- Mogwai -May 16 at the Orpheum Theatre in LA. Never been to that venue (at least I don’t remember), but Mogwai is pretty amazing.
- The New York Dolls -May 21 at the Fonda in Hollywood. Iconic 70’s glam punkers. If only Thunders was still around . . .
- The Kills -May 22 at the Fonda in Hollywood. Awesome venue, awesome duo.
- The Shins -May 10 a the Hollywood Paladium. Love The Shins, hate the Paladium. The sound there is awful.
- The Spits – May 20 at Mr. T’s Bowl in LA. Never been to this venue, but I do love me some Spits. Reminds me of some crazy fun times in San Diego.
- The Thermals -May 27 at the Troubador in West Hollywood. Intimate venue with a cool lil bar. Recently got into this band and I’m glad I did!
- Propaghandi – May 31 at the Echoplex. I loved this band in high school! Would be great to see them again. “How to Clean up Everything”
All these bands are playing on various dates at various venues, so click on their names to see if they’re coming to a venue near you. If you know of a good show, drop me a line.