NICK CAVE & THE BAD SEEDS
- Where does Nick Cave get his raw energy? The man was all over the place from the stage, to the massive gap that separates fans from the stage — all the way to walking on the crowds’ heads. Cave is a carnal force to be reckoned with; the man is unstoppable.
- Hands down, the best-dressed band at Coachella. Nick and Warren have style for days with them fancy suits.
- Stagger Lee, From Her To Eternity, The Mercy Seat — yeah, Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds performed some gems.
- Again with the incredible on-stage chemistry (as quoted in their Grinderman show), Nick and Warren are hilarious together. Warren slapped Nick’s ass at the start of the show, and Nick kicked Warren’s ass during their Grinderman set.
RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS
- I bet the Red Hot Chili Peppers were super stoked that they didn’t have a crappy dust storm to performance against as they did at weekend one of Coachella.
- Fans that attended both weekends of Coachella said that this Chili Peppers set was way better than weekend one.
- Fuck, yeah! Anthony Kiedis wore an OFF! hat during their Coachella performance.
- Don’t be scerrrrrd, the nameless ghouls are harmless, but they sure are intimidating as fuck. We got to witness them walk from the backstage artist compound to the main stage. Everyone wanted a photo of this chilling opportunity.
- Some people think Dave Grohl drummed with Ghost B.C. at Coachella. We did not see Grohl once at Coachella. But we do know he tracked drums for Ghost B.C’s ABBA cover of “I’m A Marionette.”
- Even in 100+ degree weather heat, Ghost B.C. remained unscathed in their black and heavy garbs concealing every portion of their identity.
- Ghost B.C. put on one of the best Coachella 2013 performances: riveting, thrashing, and beautiful (yes, their music at times can be beautiful).
Thee Oh Sees
- Yet another top Coachella performance, thee Oh Sees are just to damn rad. They shred and they’re weird, and we love it. Watch our Vine clip of them destroying, here.
- There were more girls crowd-surfing during their set than dudes. In fact, out of all the Coachella performances we saw, people surfed the crowd the most at Thee Oh Sees.
- Thee Oh Sees played a secret post-Coachella party at the Ace Hotel after the festival. Watch it here.
- Can I tell you how bummed I was that I missed my beloved Wu-Tang Clan? After Nick Cave I hustled to the Outdoor Theatre and got a massive bloody nose. Guess the desert dust and dryness, and all that nose blowing finally got to me. I spent 15 minutes in the medical tent trying to stop the bleed.
- How rad is Wu’s orchestra? Even they be throwing up the Wu signs. Hard.
- It’s not every show you get the entire Wu together. This was a very special performance and from what I was told and can see through these photos, the Wu were outstanding — Wu-Tang Clan ain’t nuttin’ to fuck wit.
FATHER JOHN MISTY
- Father John Misty (aka Josh Tillman) put on a most memorable show. The man is so handsome it’s unfair. He had every girls’ panties in the audience wet. Scratch that; he had every girls’ and some boys’ underpants wet at the sight of his every flamboyant move and honest verse that poured out of that beautifully bearded mouth. His music is incredible live.
- Despite the haters, ’cause there’s always hater when someone’s doing something great — we love Father John Misty’s real and raw energy. Quoting one of my Instagram fans: “I feel like this generation of people think he is an asshole. He is just a little too brilliant to sit back and watch this fucked up world goon without calling people on their bullshit! God bless him and his psychedelic punk attitude. We need more of it!” @Intuitive_Mediums – I could not agree with you more.
- A Coachella moment that will never be forgotten, FatherJohnMisty called out douchey poser-chicks in an honest and well-called-for stage rant: “If you’re wearing a flowered wreath around your head & some sort of fringy hippy dress, don’t walk around with a face like this (he made a grumpy-stuck-up face, scroll down to view the face he made). Then he proceeded to imitate how these girls talk and what they talk about. It was pure comedy and a social rant that we are totally okay with — preach on Father John!
- In just a little over a year, Grimes has matured immensely since we last covered her debut at the Echo. This little Spring chicken put on an incredible performance at Coachella — full of vibrant energy, candid honesty, and a fierce militia of beats that had everyone dancing, even cute toddlers.
- From dressing like a boy and having an on-stage “posse,” Grimes now choses a cute feminine side of fashion and has butterfly dancers instead of a posse. Oh, one of her butterfly dancers had a nip-slip, check out the photo below.
- Holy shit, Tame Impala had a massive crowd. I walked by their backstage and it was also packed to the rim.
- Tame Impala are meant for the outdoors, their fluid organic swirls of psychedelic sound sounded great outside. The energy was unreal.
The Three O Clock
- How rad is it that the Three O Clock finally got back together after 25 years of turning down reunion tours!
- These “Paisley Underground” founders made the L.A. underground proud with their amazing set. It was good vibes all around.
SLIPPING INTO DARKNESS
Words: Sandra Burciaga
Photography: Monique Hernadez
- Coachella Day One photo gallery and review feat. Grinderman, Jurassic 5, Blur, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Palma Violets, and more!
- Coachella Day Two photo gallery and review feat. New Order, Savages, Descendents, The Make-up, Franz Ferdinand, and more!
Click through the photo gallery below to view more Coachella 2013 photos, from live music and fashion — to scenery and the crazy crowds!