It’s 2019 Coachella Fashion time! Coachella is underway and while you get amped for the annual pilgrimage to the desert, how about we help you out with your Coachella fashion. If you’ve been asking yourself “what should I wear to Coachella?” we’ve created a very helpful (and very blunt) Coachella fashion Dos and Don’ts for the ladies. Don’t worry men, we also have some Coachella fashion tips for you guys!
While in the past we’ve focused on “what not to wear at Coachella“, and even how to avoid chub rub or copious amounts of boob sweat, this year we are shining a ray of light with some must-wear fashion and style at Coachella.
It’s all about function meets fashion, ladies. Check it out below!
1. DO go easy on the makeup. It’s an all day summer festival! That calls for glowing natural looks, but unfortunately, not every girl is blessed with flawless and healthy skin (and that’s okay). Regardless, unless you want to look like a sloppy mess—because those layers of foundation and a failed attempt at smokey-eyes WILL melt off your face — try a light layer of camera ready BB cream with SPF, followed by some hydrating perfect powder (this stuff is AHHHMAZING). And don’t forget to keep that light look locked with primer and some makeup setting spray. We love this one because its long lasting with aloe vera. Trust, you’ll need that aloe element at Coachella.
2. DON’T wear played-out flower wreaths and Native American feathers in your hair. That’s for kiddies and Midwest tourists. Be original. If you want to wear something fabulous in your hair, get a fierce headdress that makes a bold fashion statement (check out this find), or maybe you prefer a Gatsby-inspired jewelry headband. Or go totally no-fucks-given and wear this. Whatever you choose, just don’t wear what my 16-year-old niece would wear to her first Coachella [eye roll].
3. DO wear boots and / or comfy sneakers. Ankle boots (these are rad) and slightly below the knee boots are always the way to go at Coachella. We also love these boots because they breathe! They protect your tootsies and they forever look stylish. The more faded and worn-in, the better. Whatever you do, do not wear Uggs or these stupid furry raver boots. As for sneakers, you can never go wrong with these comfy and stylish kicks: Chucks, Adidas Shell Tops, Nike Dunks, SUPRA high tops, and VANS Classics.
4. DON’T wear heels or flip flops to Coachella. If you’re going to wear heels to Coachella, you’re going to look like a dumbass, and we’ll throw you up on our Hot vs. Not (as a NOT) once your heel gets stuck in the polo field.
Most people think flip-flops make perfect sense at Coachella since it’s hot and grassy, but do you really want to have dirty cave-man feet? Not to mention stepping in festival porta-potty slime, and getting stepped on by that dumb girl wearing five-inch stilettos (this happened to me at Coachella 2006 and she broke my toe nail… it was painful). BUT, if you must must wear flip flops, wear these.
5. DO show some skin and wear a basic sun-dress jazzed up with some jewelry and killer boots. Or perhaps you want the flexibility of a boho crop-top paired with some adorable jean shorts, or the cutest rompers EVER!). You might as well soak up that desert sun and work on your summer tan while battling the outdoor Coachella heat. Just be sure to wear sunblock (this stuff is the best) and to pack a lightweight jacket and / or leggings for nightfall.
Please note: DO NOT WEAR THESE SHORTS.
6. DON’T wear tights or leggings during the day without any panties. It sometimes reaches 100 degrees at Coachella. Do you really want sweaty-swamp-vag? Ewww. More on that here.
7. DO style your hair up in braids and ponytails paired with dangly earrings. We’d all love to wear our hair down and get that messy summer look, but sometimes you just can’t rock it. With all the sweat your head will be releasing from the beating sun, you’ll probably be better of with an updo. Spice up that updo with some outrageous earrings. We love these and these.
8. DON’T wear fake jewelry. If you’re not going to rock the sterling silver, rose gold or real gold, don’t attempt sporting an array of Forever 21 rings across your hands. You’ll turn green once you sweat and look like a big bag of yuck. We love the unique jewelry creations by Black Willow Jewelry and Mojo makes some pretty dope rings. Both are perfect for your Coachella haute looks.
9. DO wear underwear. As mentioned earlier, it’s super hot at Coachella, you don’t want dirty-sweaty-vag, now do you? I can’t imagine how nasty those late night Coachella hook-ups would be! Get yourself some cute cotton booty shorts to wear under that tiny dress or a hot seamless thong (that won’t ride up) to wear under your shorts.
9. DON’T wear a g-string under your very short dress. It’s tacky and tasteless. Booty shorts or a cute full-butted underwear leave more to the imagination and look way hotter. And by all means, do not have your g-string sticking out from your jeans / shorts. That’s so 90s tween (I know because I used to do that in 1998).
Please note: DO NOT WEAR THESE BOOTY SHORTS.
10. DO prevent boob sweat! Yes, ladies if you have them knockers, you know what I’m talking about: that awful line of sweat beneath your breasts imprinted in your new tanktop, yeah, it happens. Those sweat drops just run down that cleavage river and around your boobs, only to fall right under them and soak your shirt. The struggle is real and I personally know all about it. Check out our 4 Ways to Avoid Boob Sweat at Music Festivals.
11. DON’T wear any onesies. Not only will you look lame, but can you imagine how sweaty and stinky you will get? And especially don’t ever wear a gold lamé onesie. Anything lamé will make your Coachella sweat stick to you like glue, your skin will not breathe and you will smell like a homeless person’s private parts. DON’T DO IT.
12. DO pack a handkerchief or scarf! Coachella can get super windy and create some very unpleasant dust storms. Unless you want to wake up with some painful dust boogers lodged in your nose, please get a hanky! It doesn’t have to be abnormally huge like this guy’s, but perhaps something more like this gal’s. There are plenty of cute colors to choose from.
12. DO wear sunglasses! Just like you gotta protect your skin, you must protect those pretty eyes! Get playful with your sunnies style. These are too cute, so are these, and you can never go wrong with these.
Coachella 2019 will take place across two weekends: April 12-19 and April 14-21.
Have any Coachella fashion DO’S and DON’TS (for the ladies)? Let us know in a comment below!